Tuesday 4 September 2012

Beauty Ethics?

Do they exist?


Coming from a rural/farming background I think it makes me automatically more aware of how the way products are produced and manufactured from the word go. However, it never used to even cross my mind when it came to my beauty products........ why I do not know, but it just didn't. I mean I've always loved The Body Shop and the fact that they do not test on animals at all, and that they try to use Fair Trade items wherever possible. But I never questioned any of my other favourite brands.

I think recently with more natural brands and products becoming available, and them being of high quality and reasonable price, people are starting to question what it is they are purchasing and using. I find myself more and more now searching for Organic, Natural, Cruelty Free and Environmentally friendly products. This isn't me suddenly deciding that I want to hug trees and burn my bra! (I want to do neither, I think running on the treadmill would be a little uncomfortable if I did this) But it is me starting to actually think about what I purchase rather than buy then think after.

Also are brands now becoming more aware of the effect they can have on the environment and also what they promote to their customers. If Brands were more willing to change small things and encourage kinder products, in a few years would it be the norm for people to buy organic/fair trade shampoo, or have a make up bag filled with products not tested on animals? People seem to be aware of these things on products they consume, however it is not made clear to people about what they put on themselves.

So this is my question to all others -

Do you consciously consider what you buy before you buy it, or do you like me buy before you think?

And if you had the choice would you change your usual products to more natural and kinder products if you could find substitutes?

Can't wait to hear all your thoughts.

J x

2 comments:

  1. I usually buy before I think.... I'm working on this =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never used to think about products being cruelty free and all that either, but lately I've been trying to consider what I'm buying more. If I could, I'd definitely change all my products to cruelty-free alternatives!

    ReplyDelete